Saturday, February 04, 2006

Cuben Material Project Number 5

Cuben Material Project Number 5:

I was looking through a box of old backpacking gear and I think I found a pair of OR Shells that may be Rain Mitts. They look like I never used them. They are size large and weigh 3.03oz for the pair


I am going to make a pattern for a pair of Rain Mitts/Vapor Barrier (VB) Mitts. Then I will make a pair out of Cuben and see how much they weigh and how they work out.

I may try sewing in a mesh insert (vent) like I will have on my VB Cuben pants and shirt protoptype. I think wearing a light pair of liners might work as well. My main concern in the rain is staying warm and as you can not always stay dry.

Here is my pattern test.


I have cut out the Cuben material for both Mitts. The material for the Cuben Rain Mitts/VB Mitts will weigh 0.155oz. pair. These are the same size as the OR item in the first picture.

The OR Mitts have a set of straps at the wrist opening and a short strap across the top of the knuckle area. To reduce some weight I had thought about using some small flat cord and mini cord locks in place of the straps. This would add 0.197oz per pair or bring the total weight for the pair to about 0.36oz or 0.37oz per pair.

I tried the Flat Cord idea but didn't like it. It is to hard to adjust the Flat Cord/Cord Locks so I have made a set of straps like the OR Mitts have on them. I used a small type of Velcro sewed to a piece of black grosgrain. The straps like this would add 0.45oz to the pair of Mitts. I like the way this works better as you can do it easy with one hand. As I was finishing the straps I thought I should have made the straps out of the Cuben Material and I might have been able to save a little weight. Before I sew these straps on the Mitts I am going to make a set out of the Cuben and see how much they weigh. If I can save a little weight I will make the straps out of Cuben.

=============================================================

P.J.
SUBJECT Re: Cuben Rain Mitts
ON 01/20/2006 00:24:10 MST POST REPLY

Bill,
Good job. Already halfway there - so fast. Did you think that perhaps you might want to make crab claw mitts for a bit of extra dexterity. Or, did you go with full mitts for more warmth?

Hi Paul,
Yes, I think a full Mitt is warmer. I also haven't seen (in person) one of the Crab Claw type of Mitt you are talking about. I will see if I can find one of the Crab Claw type and try it on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home