Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Cuben Connection - Super Ultra Light (SUL) Backpacking Gear - Project 1

I am making most of the gear necessary for an Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike. The first few projects will use a very light fabric made by Cuben Fiber Corp. This material is about 0.44 oz per square yard (36" by 36").


Cuben Material Project Number 1: (This Pack was finished June 14, 2005)

Super Ultra Light Backpack - Finished weight - 2.10 oz.
Part 1:

I have a G6 pack that weighs 3.44 oz. I like it a lot, however for an AT Thru-Hike I made a few changes. I changed the size a small bit making it 6.5" wide vs the 5" wide G6. I added mesh pockets to each side of the pack and a full mesh pocket for the front of the pack. This gives me 1833 cu inches in the pack and a total of about 730 cu inches for the mesh pockets. I wanted mesh pockets for a lot of reasons. I like to keep my water bottles in a side pocket and my Trap or other wet things in a back mesh pocket. The G6 has a back pocket but it isn't mesh and it has no side pockets. I am sure a lot of the reasons concern added weight. The mesh pockets add 1.28oz to the total weight of the pack

The pack is not quite finished. Tonight I have to decide how I want the top of the pack to close. I like a roll top but don't have a place to put the velcro since that space is now a mesh pocket. I will work something out. I also had to order some small width webbing for the shoulder straps.

This pack bag is shown on one of my "Home-Made " SUL External Pack Frames.

The weight of the pack bag as you see it in these pictures is 1.96oz. If you consider that 1.28 oz's of the total weight is from the mesh pockets and if I had left them off the pack bag it would have weighed less than 1 oz. I might make another pack bag without the mesh pockets just to see how light I can make the standard size G6 pack. I don't have enough of this light weight material left over or I would try but expect to get more.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Part 2:

I finished the 10" collar for my SUL pack. I even found a way around the velcro issue. I didn't see how I was going to sew the velcro inside the mesh pocket easy and was tired. I did a cop out and since I have draw cords and neat little cord locks I just put the roll top ends through the loop and pulled the cord tight. It seems to work. I then just push the ends into the pocket. I will try this and see how it works.

The more or less finished pack weight is up to 2.10oz. I think I can live with that for awhile.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Lets see what is next on my list?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of using this material for outdoors gear.
I just finished a couple of projects and I want to make a few more eg: Hammock, quilt and some apparel.
Where can I get this cuben fiber stuff at a decent price?

thanks.

wolfy the lobo

11:52 PM  
Blogger gardenville said...

You can buy direct from Cuben Fiber.
http://www.cubenfiber.com/cfmain.html

You can read this Thread for a lot of information
about Cuben Fiber.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/2346/index.html

Good Luck

12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you never cease to amaze me.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home