Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Cuben Material Project Number 2:

Cuben Material Project Number 2: (This project was finished on July 12,2005)

Super Ultra Light Poncho (2.81oz)/Tarp (4.99oz)

I have finished my first SUL Cuben Poncho/Tarp. It is 48" wide (that is how wide the Cuben fabric was) and 90" long. If I made another one I could keep the weight under 2oz if it was a Poncho only. The extra reinforcement necessary to turn it into a tarp added about 1oz to the weight.

The 2.81oz weight is for the Poncho mode only. In the Tarp mode it is necessary to add guy lines and stakes. 6 Vargo - Ti Shepherd's Hook UltraLight Stakes at .20oz each would add 1.2oz. 50 foot of AirCore Pro guyline and 6 tensioners would add another .98oz. This would give me a total weight when used as a Tarp of 4.99oz.

I plan to pitch the Tarp in different ways to see if it is big enough for my use. It sure looks small.

My plans are to do a short part of my Thru-Hike SUL and see how it works. The weather will play a big part in when I try it but it should be interesting to see what under 5 pounds would be like from Springer Mt. to Fontana Dam or so. Ideally it would be nice to start SUL and go that way as long as the weather didn't get crazy. As the weather gets warmer SUL should get easier.

As each piece of my gear gets lighter and lighter 5 pounds is starting to look like a lot of weight play with. Smart selection and layering of my clothing, even watching the weight, should allow me to stay warm for short periods of colder weather.


Poncho Mode 2.81oz.
Tarp Mode 4.99oz

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I would be interested in a cuben tarp that could also be used as a hammock. I know you've made both but have you tried to combine the two? Or three with a tarp/poncho/hammock. That would seem to be a great multiuse item.

7:28 PM  
Blogger gardenville said...

Hi Locust,

While this might seem like a good idea my Cuben Hammock is pulled together on the ends and has a knot tied in it to hold the tree rope. This knot is almost impossible to un-knot after using the Hammock a few times.

My Cuben Tarp / Poncho has a hole in it for my head. This would be a weak point if a person tried to use it as a Hammock.

A person might be able to come up with a combination like you suggest with some testing but it would take a different construction style for the Hammock and maybe a Cape like garment for rain protection.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home